Subject: Re: [bug#49607] [PATCH v3 1/3] gnu: idris: Use wrap-program to define IDRIS_CC

From: Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 20:04:06 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, 2022-04-28 at 15:28 +0200, Attila Lendvai wrote:
> Idris requires a C compiler at runtime to generate executables.
> 
> * gnu/packages/idris.scm (idris) [inputs]: Add bash-minimal (for
> wrap-program).
> [phases]: Add wrap-program phase to define IDRIS_CC, use (cc-for-
> target).
> ---

I believe this would prevent someone from effectively setting
`IDRIS_CC` to a different compiler from within their environment,
correct?  I would like to leave that option available to users.  Also,
can this be a simple compiler reference, or does it need to be a
"toolchain compiler"?  E.g. I usually set `IDRIS_CC` to gcc from a
"gcc-toolchain" package.

Could we possibly instead override the default C compiler in the
compiler's C backend?  Either way we'd be embedding a reference to some
compiler/toolchain.

`~Eric