Subject: bug#49598: 28.0.50; [Feature Request] Support slurping and barfing operations in lisp-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:21:05 +0200

Liang-Jie Lee <[email-masked]> writes:

> Slurping is the operation to expand current S-expression by pulling in
> the next outer S-expression, for example (| is cursor):
>
> (foo (bar |baz) abc efg) -> (foo (bar |baz abc) efg)
>
> Barfing is the opposite, contracting the S-expression by pushing out
> it's last-most form, for example:
>
> (foo (bar |baz abc) efg) -> (foo (bar |baz) abc efg)

I'm not quite sure what the request is here -- to add key bindings for
`paredit-forward-slurp-sexp' and `paredit-forward-barf-sexp' to
`emacs-lisp-mode?  (Or `lisp-mode-shared-map', I guess...)

I'm not sure these are commands that are generally used that much to
warrant doing that, and I think people that are really into these things
just enable paredit mode (or something similar).

But I may be wrong in that -- if there's a clamouring for these commands
having a key binding in Lispish modes, I wouldn't be against adding
them.  What do the rest of you people think?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no