Subject: Re: bug#49596: 28.0.50; shadowfile.el: `shadow-define-literal-group' is broken

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:15:25 +0200

Max Brieiev <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Max,

> Yes, the issue is fixed.

Thanks for the feedback.

> However, the interface of `shadow-define-literal-group` is somewhat
> obscure:
>
> - `M-x shadow-define-literal-group RET RET` will insert `nil` into
>   `shadow-literal-groups`, which is probably not correct?

Fixed.

> - The first prompt `Host identification or cluster name: ` isn't very
>   descriptive. There is not much docs and I had to learn by trial and
>   error that it accepts either tramp format like `/ssh:user@host:` for
>   remote endpoints or a plain string like `my-linux-box` for local host
>   names. And it seems if it can't resolve provided host name it will
>   silently insert `nil` into `shadow-literal-groups`, which also doesn't
>   seem correct.

I've adapted this. It prompts now for "Site name: ", and it has also a
help echo describing what a site name is (move the mouse over the prompt).
The error is fixed.

> That said, it is easier to set `shadow-literal-groups` manually, because
> you can manually test accessibility of remote files and then simply
> append the resulting tramp file name into the variable.

That's an alternative. But the interactive command shall also work as
expected.

Best regards, Michael.