Subject: bug#49587: Where are links in describe-symbol minor-mode?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 22:47:25 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> No, I think it was just implemented that way because it was simple.  As
> somebody said in this thread, those functions should be rewritten
> "inside out" -- i.e., separate out the stuff inside those commands that
> actually generate the text to that they can be reused.  I'll have a go
> at doing that...

And looking at this yet again, I really think all of these functions
should be radically rewritten -- they're incredibly convoluted at
present.  That is, pass in explicitly describe-function-orig-buffer etc
instead of the weird dance, and stop using standard-output for half of
the functions, because it really doesn't help.

But it's a pretty big job, and there few tests to detect if something
goes wrong (as it inevitably will)...

I'll come back to it later, and I'm leaving this bug report open.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no