Subject: bug#49570: 28.0.50; url-http proxy connection-wait

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 12:40:47 +0300

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 09:10:41 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
>     [email-masked]
> 
> >> Why on earth won't you do that?
> >
> > Because it isn't our place to second-guess when the user wants to purge 
> > his/her local Git repository.
> >
> 
> The word "prune" or "purge" are perhaps a bit unfortunate, they seem to 
> imply that something serious is happening (as Basil thought).

We are miscommunicating.  Regardless of whether the loss of data is or
isn't significant, it is impolite, to say the least, for the project
to force users to do anything in their local clone that is not
absolutely necessary.  In particular, whether a branch should or
shouldn't be deleted in the local clone is for the user to decide, not
for us.  So we should not do that.

> Two people (Lars and Andrea) regretted upthread that removing a
> branch does not remove them in local repositories, and I remember at
> least one recent incident in which someone was using the native-comp
> branch after it had been removed.  Which is why I suggested to set
> that configuration variable... but I preach in the wilderness.

People who want this automatic pruning can configure that in their
personal ~/.gitconfig.  So the information about doing that
automatically is not lost; thank you for posting it.