Subject: Re: bug#49558: fill paragraph in texinfo-mode fails with @

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 15:53:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's because you think about it as plain text.  It isn't.
> Basically, lines that start with @foo are directives, not text.
>
> It could be somewhat surprising, because it otherwise looks very much
> like plain text, but without those definitions of paragraph-start and
> paragraph-separate, things would be much worse.  E.g., copy this to a
> text-mode buffer, then type M-q:
>
> @itemize @bullet
> @item
> If the text consists of a special glyph, the glyph can specify a
> particular face.  @xref{Glyphs}.

Filling is one thing, but paragraphs are another.  texinfo-mode relies
on the paragraph definition being...  eccentric... to avoid filling
lines that start with "@word ".

I think the paragraph definition should be more traditional, and
`fill-paragraph-function' should be adjusted to do the right thing on
the @directives that we don't want to have filled.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no