Subject: 28.0.50; Multiple launchers in GNOME

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:38:27 +0200

Hi,

I built Emacs master (commit: 3fa711c11d1497418fdf8a866b7ba52dd3b00e0e)
and now I see two launchers (.desktop files) in GNOME:

- Emacs
- Emacs (Client)

The first one is the one I added to my favourites in GNOME, thus it's the 
launcher I've always used in my GNOME dash panel to launch Emacs. See attachment 
1.png.

However, this launcher now always spawns a new Emacs (Client), resulting in two 
Emacs icons in my GNOME dash. See attachment 2.png.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0) of 2021-07-10 built on hathaway
Repository revision: 3fa711c11d1497418fdf8a866b7ba52dd3b00e0e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation CC=gcc-10'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   icomplete-vertical-mode: t
   icomplete-mode: t
   save-place-mode: t
   global-company-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   git-identity-magit-mode: t
   minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
   minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   global-diff-hl-mode: t
   mu-keys-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   window-divider-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210701.1116/transient hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort flymake-proc flymake compile comint ansi-color vc-git
goto-addr thingatpt mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cursor-sensor
icomplete saveplace company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company git-identity f
dash s modus-operandi-theme modus-themes autorevert filenotify dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs mb-depth minibuf-eldef mode-local advice
find-func recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist diff-hl log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode modeline packages
pdf-loader cl-extra help-mode hydra ring lv built-ins rx pcase ibuf-macs
derived core-settings edmacro kmacro disp-table core-packages
no-littering core-lib easy-mmode tex-site info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 265148 29271)
  (symbols 48 18464 1)
  (strings 32 53598 3783)
  (string-bytes 1 1798929)
  (vectors 16 29296)
  (vector-slots 8 531093 10580)
  (floats 8 163 978)
  (intervals 56 598 0)
  (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu