Subject: bug#49505: 28.0.50; Multiple launchers in GNOME

From: Simen Heggestøyl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 15:02:20 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Simen Heggestøyl <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Are there any plans to fix or at least revert this behaviour?
>>
>> This bug has been biting me too since switching to the emacs-28 branch.
>>
>> I agree with Manuel that it should be reverted until a fix is ready.
>
> Yup.  There's been several patches here, though, so I'm not quite sure
> what to revert.  Can you propose a patch that fixes this?

Peter's suggestion to remove the StartupWMClass line from
emacsclient.desktop fixes the "Emacs" launcher:

> I’m not sure what else to suggest.  We can revert the fix to 49259
> (or, more sensibly, remove StartupWMClass from emacsclient.desktop
> entirely), but that doesn’t really help, since it’d cause the opposite
> problem that people who favourite “Emacs (Client)” would end up with a
> duplicate “Emacs” icon.

But as he says, it flips the bug around to hit users of the new "Emacs
(Client)" launcher instead...

Deleting emacsclient.desktop would bring back the behavior of Emacs 27 I
suppose, but I don't know whether having a slightly buggy "Emacs
(Client)" launcher is better than having no "Emacs (Client)" launcher at
all.