Subject: Re: bug#49494: [PATCH 0/7] Add nncp

From: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:40:56 -0700

Hi Arun,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Sarah,
>
>>> Your patch applies on master (fba107e), builds, and passes tests for me;
>>> I'm on x86-64. What's your platform?
>>
>> I'm on x86_64 too. I tried on master eb46c6c5c8. I have attached the
>> complete build log. The tests seem to have timed out after 10
>> minutes. Could it be something to do with memory usage? I have 4 GB of
>> RAM.
>
> I set up a tmpfs file system at /tmp. And, curiously, now the package
> builds successfully. No idea why this is happening, though.

I actually just figured this out as well. You're on a rotational disk,
aren't you? Since nncp makes heavy use of the spool file (which I think
it mocks in /tmp for testing), I think that's why your tests are taking
so long and timing out. Tests complete for me on a SSD in ~40s. (All the
error messages are red herrings; they're expected errors.) If this is
the case, it might be worth it to increase the test timeout for those
who use --no-substitutes.

>
>>>>> Does CFGPATH need to be set?
>>>>
>>>> I have now set CFGPATH TO /etc/nncp.hjson.
>>>
>>> When I run any of the executables, I get:
>>>
>>> main.go:73: Error during initialization: stat /usr/local/etc/nncp.hjson:
>>> no such file or directory
>>
>> I couldn't reproduce this error message. Which command are you running?
>> But, I do see that the output of say `nncp-xfer` lists
>> /usr/local/etc/nncp.hjson as the default configuration path. I will
>> investigate.

Apologies, I got the error with `nncp-stat` and `nncp-check`.

>
> That leaves only the CFGPATH issue. I'll figure it out and send a v3
> patch.
>
> Regards,
> Arun

--
Sarah