Subject: bug#4948: closed (Re: bug#4948: Dead key misery)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 20:59:03 +0000

Your bug report

#4948: Dead key misery

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
4948: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4948
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4948: Dead key misery
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Da Niel <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:57:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> The last update here was ten years ago.  Are you still seeing this issue
> on a modern version of Emacs?  Dead keys seem to be working for me in
> Emacs 27.1.

More information was requested, but none was given within 4 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reopen the bug
report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: Dead key misery
From: Daniel Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:01:43 +0100

Long ago NEWS.19 got this delightful entry:

** Dead-key and composite character processing is done in the standard
X11R6 manner (through the default "input method" using the
/usr/lib/X11/locale/*/Compose databases of key combinations).  I.e. if
it works in xterm, it should also work in emacs now.

This has long since stopped working.  I found a workaround of (require 
'iso-transl), which handles a few cases but not even a western European 
dead-cedilla is handled.  Even if I do (require 'ogonek), dead-ogonek is 
not handled.  All other programs still do this fine, why did Emacs 
forget about this?

Btw. this is Ubuntu 9.10 and the file name is 
/usr/*share*/X11/locale/*/Compose but I guess configure, which I ran 
from CVS should have detected that.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- 
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                    http://lernu.net  /  http://ikurso.net