Subject: bug#4947: Comments on misearch.el [repost from emacs-devel]

From: "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:36:28 +0100

I just tried misearch.el which provides the ability to search through
multiple files / buffers via isearch. Thank you, Juri, for writing it,
it's exactly what I need.

(BTW., is there something like misearch but for query-replace, too?)

I do have some comments on it:

  * The docstring of `multi-isearch-next-buffer-function' says that the
    function is called with the current buffer as first argument.

    However, in case of the initial buffer, it's actually called with
    `nil' as first argument.

   Is that intended? If so, the docstring should reflect that.
   I now have in my next-buffer function

     (setq current-buffer (or current-buffer (current-buffer)))

   as a workaround.

  * It'd be nice, not only to display "Repeat for next buffer", but
    actually include the next buffer's name.

  * If I'm in a file that contains matches, and I'm at the last match,
    it exhibits the following behaviour in the minibuffer:

      Multi Isearch: ...                         (pressing C-s)

      Failing multi Isearch: ... [Repeat ...]    (pressing C-s)

      jumps to first match in next buffer

   However, if I'm in a buffer that won't have a match, I see the
   following behaviour:

      Multi Isearch: ..(incremently typing)..    --> turns to
      Failing multi Isearch: ... [Repeat ...]    (pressing C-s)
 
      Failing mutli Isearch: ...                 (pressing C-s)

      goes to next file

   I.e., as you can hopefully see, it expects one C-s too much. (The
   line without the "[Repeat ...]" is superfluous.)

  -T.

-- 
Diese Nachricht wurde auf Viren und andere gefaerliche Inhalte untersucht
und ist - aktuelle Virenscanner vorausgesetzt - sauber.
Freebits E-Mail Virus Scanner