Subject: bug#4946: 23.1.50; focus-follows-mouse doesn't work

From: "Joel J. Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:21:37 -0500

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Despite setting focus-follows-mouse to t using (setq focus-follows-mouse
t) when starting with Emacs -Q, focus does not change when I split the
frame into two windows.  Cursor remains a blank box (no blinking)
despite mouse movement.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-16 on chondestes
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10603000
configured using `configure  '--with-pop' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-xft' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-shared' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var' '--enable-perl=/usr/bin/perl' '--build=i686-slackware-linux' '--host=i686-slackware-linux' 'build_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'host_alias=i686-slackware-linux' 'CFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x k <return> C-x d M-D M-D / t m p o / <backspace> 
<backspace> / C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <customize> <customize-browse> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <Save 
for future sessions> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> C-x C-f M-D . m h <tab> <return> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x c u s t o m 
i z e SPC v a r SPC <return> f o c u <tab> <tab> <return> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x 
r e p o r t SPC e m SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/joel/.emacs-custom.el
Creating group...done
Creating customization items...
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Creating customization items...
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/joel/.emacs.d/psvn/vc-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/vc-svn
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/t-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/t-mouse
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/anthy/leim-list hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/leim/leim-list

Features:
(shadow emacsbug ebnf2ps epa-file epa url-cache url-http tls url-gw
url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-util url-parse timezone url-vars newsticker-backend xml
derived cus-edit help-mode view pp mule-util tabify mh-search mh-thread
epg mh-identity mh-letter mh-comp multi-isearch mh-alias multi-prompt
crm flow-fill smiley mail-extr mh-mime mh-gnus cal-iso footnote flyspell
ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus
org-bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda org org-footnote org-src org-list
org-faces org-compat org-macs noutline outline mh-show goto-addr
thingatpt gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int message idna ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash gnus-win gnus-range gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr mh-seq mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder
which-func imenu gnus-util netrc time-date mh-scan server appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ansi-color ede/speedbar
ede/files ede ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe assoc eieio-custom eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cedet ibuf-ext ibuffer org-install preview prv-emacs latex edmacro
kmacro tex-style tex-buf tex tex-site auto-loads preview-latex reftex
reftex-vars uniquify dired-x dired-aux dired ange-ftp comint enscript
printing ps-print ps-def lpr boxquote rect supercite sendmail regi psvn
advice help-fns advice-preload wid-edit log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log
diff-mode easy-mmode easymenu mh-e regexp-opt mh-compat mailabbrev
mh-acros cl cl-19 mh-buffers mh-loaddefs midnight savehist time
cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB #3280, Coker Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3280