Subject: Re: bug#49419: [PATCH 0/4] Essential home services

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 17:08:55 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Diff with v2: Prevents unecessary calls to system*
>
> Please, when review finished, apply against guix-home-wip branch.
>
> Andrew Tropin (4):
>   home-services: Add most essential home services
>   home-services: Add home-run-on-change-service-type
>   home-services: Add home-provenance-service-type
>   home-services: Add fold-home-service-types function

Thanks for sending this first patch series!

How would you like to proceed?  Sending patches that add essential
services, and then (guix scripts home …) modules?

I agree we should apply it all in ‘wip-guix-home’ for now.

Some general comments:

  • Please remove tabs from Scheme files.

  • Please do not write documentation in commit logs.  For example,
    patch #1 explains the different service types, but to me, that’d
    belong in a comment or (better yet) in a section of the manual.  For
    commit logs, we use ChangeLog style:

      https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

    It’s OK if you don’t get the fine points right from the start,
    committers can tweak it for you.  :-)

  • When there are tests or documentation, add them in the commit that
    adds the corresponding functionality.

  • Regarding module names: what about putting everything in the (gnu
    home …) name space.  For services, I wonder if we could simply use
    (gnu services home), for the essential services, and other (gnu
    services …) module, but that assumes some code can be shared between
    System and Home.  Thoughts?

I’ll look at the actual patches later, but I invite others to chime in
too.  :-)

Thanks!

Ludo’.