Subject: Re: bug#49380: 27.1; is mm-inline-message supported outside Gnus?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 17:03:34 +0200

David Bremner <[email-masked]> writes:

> notmuch-show-mode relies on various mm-* functions to display message
> parts. This is problematic for "message/rfc822" parts, since
> mm-inline-message ends up calling (gnus-article-prepare-display) which
> resets the buffer major-mode to gnus-article-mode since
> notmuch-show-mode is not a derived mode of gnus-article-mode. This
> breaks a few things from a notmuch internals / user point of view.  I
> can forcibly reset the major-mode, but that has it's own problems. I
> would welcome suggestions for workarounds, or clarification of the
> extent to which the functions in mm-view.el are expected to be usable
> outside gnus.

Yeah, it's confusing.  `mm-inline-message' is really an "internal" Gnus
function, while most of the other mm functions are more general.

Disentangling that mess is daunting, but for that function in
particular, I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to rewrite it to avoid
doing anything Gnus-ish unless we're in Gnus...  On the other hand, it's
a function to display a complete message, which leaves you with a buffer
that's pretty pointless unless you have a mail reader to interact with
it afterwards.

So perhaps it should just be renamed and moved to Gnus?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no