Subject: bug#49380: 27.1; is mm-inline-message supported outside Gnus?

From: David Bremner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 13:49:25 -0300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Yeah, it's confusing.  `mm-inline-message' is really an "internal" Gnus
> function, while most of the other mm functions are more general.
>
> Disentangling that mess is daunting, but for that function in
> particular, I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to rewrite it to avoid
> doing anything Gnus-ish unless we're in Gnus...  On the other hand, it's
> a function to display a complete message, which leaves you with a buffer
> that's pretty pointless unless you have a mail reader to interact with
> it afterwards.

I should have been more precise. I'm calling it indirectly via
mm-display-part, which is useful in the case where someone attaches a
message/rfc822 part to their message. In principle notmuch can (and in
the general case does) render the part directly, but in certain odd
fall-back cases it is handy to give a visual representation of the part
in the buffer without parsing etc.. ourselves.  So the user does have a
mail reader, namely notmuch. In fact I can almost make it work by
forcing the buffer back into notmuch-show-mode after calling
mm-display-part, but that has some side-effects I'd prefer to avoid.

Thanks for thinking about my (weird?) use-cases,

David