Subject: bug#49379: 27.1; Shortcuts don't work with Russian layout active on Linux (Ubuntu)

From: Petr Losev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:30:15 +0300

You're right, any keys with modifiers don't work in Russian layout on 
Emacs, but some of them do work on the Terminal in Ubuntu (at least keys 
with <Ctrl>), so I can for example type command on the terminal: "sudo 
apt update", switch to Russian layout then press <Ctrl+A> or <Ctrl+E> to 
move the cursor to the beginning/end of the command. Combinations with 
<Alt> key don't work for me either on the Terminal.

On 7/4/21 5:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> [Please use Reply All to keep the bug address on the CC list.]
>
>> From: Petr Losev <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:51:43 +0300
>>
>> Any shortcuts related to the text editor, e.g. Ctrl-n, Ctrl-p for moving
>> to the next/previous line in the text editor while editing text.
> So you mean that keys with modifiers (Ctrl, Meta, etc.) don't work?  I
> think it's a known limitation on X (it works as expected on
> MS-Windows).  Emacs reads the keys on a level where retrieving the
> hardware keys and then translating them to the English equivalents is
> not easy.