Subject: Re: bug#49373: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Use 'remember-buffer' in remember.el doc strings

From: Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 12:21:42 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Gabriel <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 02:15:14 -0300
>> 
>> This patch replaces the hard coded '*Remember*' string with
>> 'remember-buffer' in all doc strings occurrences in remember.el.
>
> remember-buffer is an internal variable, so exposing it in the doc
> strings of public functions, let alone commands, is not necessarily
> TRT?

Hi Eli,

Good catch! I didn't notice that 'remember-buffer' is a defvar. Indeed
it does not make sense to refer to an internal variable in the doc
string of public functions.

Perhaps the 'remember-buffer' could be changed to a defcustom?

By the way, the 'remember-initial-contents' seems to be another
candidate for a defcustom, but I am not sure if I really understood its
use case. It's an internal variable, with a default value of nil, that
is not set anywhere and reset to nil on every call of 'remember'. If we
set a value and remove the reset inside 'remember', it works as
described by the name and by the doc string: "Initial contents to place
into *Remember* buffer.".

If the maintainers decide to not change any defvar to defcustom, feel
free to close this bug report.

Thank you,
Gabriel