Subject: Re: bug#49330: Customization buffer should also offer printing code snippets

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 16:03:51 +0800

>>>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
EZ> See the variable custom-file, through which you can control into which
EZ> file Emacs will write the customization form when you click Save.

Yes, and I then cut code out of .emacs-custom.el and paste it into
.emacs, which I then can share with my several machines, safe from being
overwritten by the robot.

EZ> If you want to customize your
EZ> faces in Lisp, the recommended way is to use set-face-attribute
EZ> instead, not custom-set-faces.

I will never know that, as all I do is make a customization, and then
take what got written, and paste it into my .emacs file.

The entire idea is:
1. A file that nobody writes to except me.
2. Lines of code that, although I don't know how to write, at least I
can paste them into a file fully controlled by me, and then share it to
my several machines.

Anyway, fine, emacs' model is everybody owns only one computer or
several computers and is happy with customizations on computer A being
different that those on computer B, because he never wishes to sync his
.emacs etc.

For me, I want to maintain one .emacs file, *by hand*, and any
differences (root vs. regular user, machine name, window system, I can
simply use lisp "(if ...)" to branch with.

Just like web sites' share buttons offer "embed code you can paste on a
web page", emacs' customization page should also offer printing code snippets.