Subject: Re: [bug#49329] [PATCH 1/4] gnu: python2-renpy: Drop unused Ren'py sources.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:28:05 +0200

Hi Leo,

On Sat, 03 Jul 2021 at 10:35, Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I must admit, I haven't been following the Python 2 removal plan too
> closely.  Is it already time to move working leaf packages?

The Python EOL is January, 1rst 2020 [1].  So now, we are 1.5 years
ahead, so yes it seems already time to cook a plan. :-)

However, there is no consensus about such plan. ;-)  Some related
discussions:

2018-12: <https://yhetil.org/guix/20181226093812.GR2581@macbook41/>
2019-10: <https://yhetil.org/guix/CAJ3okZ33HsXxgVgK3XyVHvYUfDUrbcwBnOn7FC6=[email-masked]/>
2019-11: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/38420>  Failed attempt to cook something
2021-01: <https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]/>

>From my understanding, the “implemented” plan is described by Maxim
here:

   <https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]/>

I just want to point that it is less work to transfer a functional and
supported by upstream package than to transfer a package starting to
have issues.  Other said, I think it is easier to find motivation to do
the transfer for this previous case than to do some “janitor” work
later.  For what my opinion is worth. :-)

About Ren’Py 7, I do not have an opinion.  Yeah, waiting Ren’Py 8 seems
The Right Thing™ to do. :-)

Hope that helps,
simon

1: <https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/>