Subject: [bug#49329] [PATCH 00/??] Improve Ren'py package

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:50:43 -0700

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi simon,
>
> Am Samstag, den 03.07.2021, 09:50 +0200 schrieb zimoun:
>> Hi Leo,
>> 
>> Just a general comment about Python 2. :-)
>> 
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 at 15:58, Leo Prikler <
>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> > * gnu/packages/game-development.scm (python2-
>> > renpy)[#:phases]<install>:
>> 
>> Is Ren’py working only with Python 2?  Or does it also work with
>> Python
>> 3?  Because Python 2 is EOL, officially since January 2020, if Ren’py
>> is
>> Python 2 only, maybe it could go to the channel guix-past [1], soon
>> or
>> later. :-) WDYT?
>> 
>> 1: <https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past>
> Ren'py does have a Python 3 compatibility layer, but I haven't gone
> around to doing a pure Python 3 build yet.  I imagine it could also be
> used with Tauthon[1], which was suggested to be used as python2
> replacement in places where projects can't trivially be ported to the
> newer python 3 stuffs.
>
> Furthermore, Ren'py 8 will use Python 3 as a base.  I don't know if
> it'll be backwards compatible with Ren'py 7 then – probably not.  If
> not, moving Ren'py 7 to Guix-Past sounds like a good idea.
>
> I must admit, I haven't been following the Python 2 removal plan too
> closely.  Is it already time to move working leaf packages?

It sounds like the plan is in flux, but essentially yes:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-06/msg00179.html

It seems to me that Python 2 will likely remain in Guix for some time,
but the various Python 2 packages will over time become hidden or
removed in favor of their Python 3 variants.

The Ren'Py plan is outlined here (I think?):

https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/2003

It sounds like it's going to be a slow (years) process for them.  Other
issues can be found here:

https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+%22python+3%22

Personally, I don't think it would be bad to add Ren'Py 7 to Guix
proper, even if it still depends on Python 2 and Python 2 libraries.
Until upstream supports Python 3, there is no other option, and for now
it sounds like we are not planning on removing all of the Python 2
libraries just yet.

If the maintenance burden becomes too great or we decide to eliminate
more Python 2 dependencies from Guix proper, we can always drop Ren'Py 7
or move it to Guix-Past along with its dependencies.  Hopefully Ren'Py 8
will bring Python 3 support sooner sooner than that, though, and we can
just drop Ren'Py 7 in favor of Ren'Py 8 at that time.

-- 
Chris