Subject: Re: bug#49309: Feature Request: Automake script based tests to print the test name before running it

From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:02:38 +0200

Am 01.07.2021 um 20:59 schrieb Kasper k:

> Then if some intermittent bad situation happens in 
> unattended/disposable CI environment, as an example, then we won't be 
> needing to opt into any kind of workaround, it'd be just there right in 
> the "regular" make-check logs; without introducing crazy amount of 
> verbosity (which set -x, VERBOSE=1 etc. renders).

IMHO that whole idea loses a most, if not all of its appeal when tests 
are run in parallel (which CI builds, always pressed for time, will 
rather likely want to do).

As soon as there is more than one line of output, you're back to where 
you were without this change, or worse.

* -Otarget or -Orecurse will undo the desired effect, because make will 
keep the entire output to itself until the test is done.  That's the 
back to square one part.

* -Oline or -Onone modes will print outputs from different tests 
intermixed, making it virtually impossible to know which result output 
belongs to which testcase.  That's considerably worse than single-line 
outputs.