Subject: bug#49283: [PATCH] 27.2; `(call-process "program" null-device ...)' fails over TRAMP from local MS Windows

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 14:34:35 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> * src/callproc.c (Fcall_process): Interpret 'infile' relative to the
>> directory from which 'program' is called, not 'default-directory'.

[...]

> Yes, this seems TRT. encode_current_directory returns either
> default-directory if this is a local dir, or "~" otherwise. Expanding
> INFILE to that directory is OK, I believe.
>
> So we shall apply Jim's patch. Maybe the docstring could be enhanced a
> little bit at the end, saying that INFILE, if it is a relative file
> name, is expanded to the directory the process uses as cwd.

Oh, I interpreted the commit message as "the directory where 'program'
is" and the patch didn't seem to do that.

But I still don't understand "the directory from which 'program' is
called", because that's `default-directory'.  (Except, as you say, when
it's a remote dir.)

The patch looks good to me, too, but the commit message is confusing.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no