Subject: bug#49280: closed (Re: bug#49280: [PATCH v2 0/3] gnu: racket: Update to 8.2. Bootstrap from C.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:06:01 +0000

Your bug report

#49280: [PATCH v2 0/3] gnu: racket: Update to 8.2. Bootstrap from C.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49280: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49280
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49280: [PATCH v2 0/3] gnu: racket: Update to 8.2. Bootstrap from C.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 01:05:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Finally pushed this second series, minus ‘with-imported-modules’.

  db2c7e70ad gnu: racket-minimal: Bootstrap from C.
  65bad4d036 gnu: racket: Unbundle racket-minimal.
  1ae95ebcdd gnu: racket: Update to 8.2.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/4] gnu: racket: Add racket-next. Bootstrap from C.
From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:52:55 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This patch series packages adds `racket-next` and `racket-next-minimal`
packages for Racket 8.1.900 (the first release candidate for Racket 8.2,
scheduled for late July). Beyond the release, having a development
package will be useful for Guix users who contribute to Racket or help
test the latest features.

In particular, these patches make use of improvements since the 8.1
release in Racket's support for layered and tethered instalations
to make some improvements to Guix's Racket packaging.

We can now unbundle `racket-next-minimal` from `racket-next`
by installing the main distribution as a layer on top of minimal Racket,
rather than duplicating the core runtime system in both packages.

This improvement facilitates changing the source of `racket-next-minimal`
to use the upstream Git repository, further unbundling main-distribution
packages developed in that repository, and bootstrapping Racket from C.
(One remaining bootstrapping limitation is discussed in comments added
in the patch.) The same features seem like the most promising path toward
adding support for Racket packages to Guix more generally.

-Philip

Philip McGrath (4):
  gnu: racket: Fix lib-search-dirs configuration.
  gnu: racket: Add racket-next and racket-next-minimal.
  gnu: racket-next: Unbundle racket-next-minimal.
  gnu: racket-next-minimal: Bootstrap from C.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |   1 +
 .../racket-next-minimal-sh-via-rktio.patch    |  87 +++
 gnu/packages/racket.scm                       | 525 +++++++++++++++++-
 3 files changed, 611 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-next-minimal-sh-via-rktio.patch

-- 
2.30.2