Subject: [bug#49280] References to unversioned source tarballs

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:31:20 +0200

Philip McGrath <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>> +       (uri (string-append %pre-release-installers
>>> +                           "racket-src.tgz"))))))
>> Do I get it right that *-src.tgz are not versioned?  That they’re
>> updated in place regularly?
>> In that case, we cannot refer to them in a package definition since
>> the
>> hash is bound to become stale.
>> What we could do is refer to, say,
>> <https://pre-release.racket-lang.org/installers/racket-8.1.900.1-src.tgz>.
>> However, I suspect this file would vanish fairly quickly from the web
>> site, which is not okay either.
>> I’m not sure what a good solution would be.  WDYT?

[...]

> For now, I will avoid the problem by just not dealing with "-next" variants.

I just realized that the problem already exists right now, with ‘racket’
and ‘racket-minimal’ referring to ‘racket-src.tgz’.

I think we should fix it after this series, possibly by using
‘git-fetch’ instead.

Ludo’.