Subject: [bug#49280] [PATCH 0/4] gnu: racket: Add racket-next. Bootstrap from C.

From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:52:55 -0400

This patch series packages adds `racket-next` and `racket-next-minimal`
packages for Racket 8.1.900 (the first release candidate for Racket 8.2,
scheduled for late July). Beyond the release, having a development
package will be useful for Guix users who contribute to Racket or help
test the latest features.

In particular, these patches make use of improvements since the 8.1
release in Racket's support for layered and tethered instalations
to make some improvements to Guix's Racket packaging.

We can now unbundle `racket-next-minimal` from `racket-next`
by installing the main distribution as a layer on top of minimal Racket,
rather than duplicating the core runtime system in both packages.

This improvement facilitates changing the source of `racket-next-minimal`
to use the upstream Git repository, further unbundling main-distribution
packages developed in that repository, and bootstrapping Racket from C.
(One remaining bootstrapping limitation is discussed in comments added
in the patch.) The same features seem like the most promising path toward
adding support for Racket packages to Guix more generally.

-Philip

Philip McGrath (4):
  gnu: racket: Fix lib-search-dirs configuration.
  gnu: racket: Add racket-next and racket-next-minimal.
  gnu: racket-next: Unbundle racket-next-minimal.
  gnu: racket-next-minimal: Bootstrap from C.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |   1 +
 .../racket-next-minimal-sh-via-rktio.patch    |  87 +++
 gnu/packages/racket.scm                       | 525 +++++++++++++++++-
 3 files changed, 611 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-next-minimal-sh-via-rktio.patch

-- 
2.30.2