Subject: Re: bug#49278: 28.0.50; Lisp Mode is for Common Lisp

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 21:16:14 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:06:19 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> -  Lisp mode is the major mode for editing programs written in
> -general-purpose Lisp dialects, such as Common Lisp.  Its mode command
> -is @kbd{M-x lisp-mode}.  Emacs uses Lisp mode automatically for files
> -whose names end in @file{.l}, @file{.lsp}, or @file{.lisp}.
> +  Lisp mode is the major mode for editing programs written in Common
> +Lisp or its ancestor dialects.  Its mode command is @kbd{M-x
> +lisp-mode}.  Emacs uses Lisp mode automatically for files whose names
> +end in @file{.l}, @file{.lsp}, or @file{.lisp}.

This basically doesn't change anything, and the original text does
mention CL.  If mentioning the ancestor dialects is important, we
could add that.

>  (define-derived-mode lisp-mode lisp-data-mode "Lisp"
> -  "Major mode for editing Lisp code for Lisps other than GNU Emacs Lisp.
> +  "Major mode for editing Common Lisp code.

Here I'd prefer to mention CL without un-mentioning the other Lisps.
There's no reason to deny they exist or existed.

Thanks.