Subject: Re: bug#49278: 28.0.50; Lisp Mode is for Common Lisp

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:54:39 +0100

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 2:51 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:32:40 +0100
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 2:29 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > Fix what? what is the problem?
> >
> > The docstring is misleading!
>
> Your changes were not only for the doc string.

True.  And that's because I think that sentence in the manual
which I proposed changing conveys the same fundamental
misunderstanding.  It says:

> Lisp mode is the major mode for editing programs written in
> general-purpose Lisp dialects, such as Common Lisp.

But that is false :-)  Scheme, Clojure and Phil's Fennel are two
"general purpose Lisp dialects" that are not at all well suited
to be edited with lisp-mode in Emacs.

João