Subject: Re: [External] : bug#49278: 28.0.50; Lisp Mode is for Common Lisp

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:02:49 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would just say "some Lisps, such as Common Lisp".

Since lisp-mode doesn't work for any Lisp other than Common Lisp, that
would be misleading.  People'll use it for their XYZ Lisp flavor, and
it'll break.

> If this mode is not particularly appropriate for some dialects, maybe
> say why

"Because it's only appropriate for Common Lisp."  Good enough?

> , or call out those dialects.

You realize there's a very large number of those, right?  When you write
an email, you don't sign it "Not João, not Lars, not any of the
Stefans".  You sign it: "Drew".  Because it's easier.

> If, as has been claimed, the change in language is
> to avoid misunderstanding and misleading, then do
> that, really.  Don't wave hands or beat around the
> bush.  Be concrete and helpful.

Who's beating around the bush?  I only see one person writing
paragraph-fulls of objections to a plain, simple and obvious a 2
line-patch.

João