Subject: Re: bug#49261: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:00:41 +0200

Mallchad Skeghyeph <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've found for a little while now that a few default behaviors of GNU
> emacs pollutes directories.

Yes, this is a question that comes up from time to time, and I don't
think we've documented in a comprehensive way how to make Emacs not
write anything in the directories it visits.

For auto-save files, that's auto-save-file-name-transforms.
For backup files, that's backup-directory-alist.
For lock files, they can be switched off with create-lockfiles.

Would it make sense to allow the user to control where the lockfiles are
written?  The lockfiles are symlinks, so it should theoretically be
possible to have them elsewhere without being any racier than the code
currently is, I think.

Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no