Subject: bug#49261: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 18:55:26 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> So if somebody could give that a look-over while I'm writing up the
> documentation, that'd be great.  :-)

Just some first thoughts, by dry reading.

>  	(if handler
>  	    (funcall handler 'make-auto-save-file-name)

We have a file name handler for make-auto-save-file-name. Shall we use
also a handler for make-lock-file-name?

> +(defun make-lock-file-name (filename)
> +  "Make a lock file name for FILENAME.
> +By default, this just prepends \".*\" to the non-directory part
> +of FILENAME, but the transforms in `lock-file-name-transforms'
> +are done first."
> +  (auto-save--transform-file-name filename lock-file-name-transforms ".#" ""))

Hmm, maybe not, because the lock file name must be the *same* over
different Emacs sessions.

Furthermore, there is auto-save-mode, which toggles auto-saving. Shall
we use something similar for file locks? Perhaps, people might not want
to lock all files, for example they might want to disable this feature
for remote files (possible performance degradation).

Best regards, Michael.