Subject: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Mallchad Skeghyeph <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:38:16 +0100

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:36:19 +0100
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
I've found for a little while now that a few default behaviors of GNU
emacs pollutes directories.
In the worst cases this can actually break programs, especially software
toolchains, where they assume a partition kind of file should be
pretend, and mistakenly tries to work with the file lock.
Another one of this files is backups and autosaves.

Ideally I would like the file lock and backup files to be placed in a
central directory,
rather than the same directory as the file in question.
After researching this problem I can see I'm not alone, and others have
felt this way for far longer than I have.

I have looked into seeing if I could change this manually,
for backups I can,
for file locks I have to dive into the source code, and after looking I
fear I would be knee deep in a very long rabbit hole without having
something more to work with.
I've not touched the source for this project before, only looked.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.29,
cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-06-20 built on m-arch-asus
Repository revision: 01b0a909b5ca858a09484821cc866127652f4153
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --enable-link-time-optimization
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo
 --with-xwidgets --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin
 -fuse-ld=gold -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -fuse-ld=gold'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  company-tng-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  centaur-tabs-mode: t
  global-highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: t
  sublimity-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  zoom-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-hungry-delete-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/mallchad/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20210104.1831/cmake-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/home/mallchad/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210525.1141/transient hides
/usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(gnus-async gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-ml gnus-msg nndoc gnus-cache gnus-dup debbugs-gnu debbugs
soap-client rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth mailclient
shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail vc bug-reference mule-util
cl-print help-fns tabify image-file image-converter magit-extras
org-indent ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader ol-docview doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
sh-script smie executable backup-each-save cus-edit cus-start cus-load
ffap dabbrev find-file helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
backtrace lsp-diagnostics lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-modeline vc-git
vc-dispatcher lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte lsp-sqls lsp-yaml lsp-xml
lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v
lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-rf lsp-r
lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-php lsp-perl lsp-ocaml
lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-markdown lsp-lua lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript
lsp-haxe lsp-groovy lsp-hack lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript
lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-elixir lsp-elm
lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp lsp-crystal lsp-cmake
lsp-clojure lsp-clangd dom lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-angular lsp-ada
lsp-actionscript winner tramp-archive tramp-gvfs dbus helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-external
helm-net xml aggressive-indent company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company-tng company rainbow-delimiters
rainbow-mode page-break-lines display-line-numbers linum init beacon
centaur-tabs centaur-tabs-interactive centaur-tabs-functions
centaur-tabs-elements powerline powerline-separators powerline-themes
highlight-parentheses smartparens-config smartparens-javascript
smartparens-rst smartparens-org smartparens-markdown smartparens-text
smartparens-c smartparens smooth-scrolling sublimity-scroll sublimity
disp-table whitespace cap-words superword subword lsp-treemacs
lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility
treemacs-mode treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-interface treemacs-extensions
treemacs-mouse-interface treemacs-tags treemacs-persistence
treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering
treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture hl-line
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros lsp-origami
lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc xwidget image-mode exif magit-bookmark
bookmark goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline face-remap
lsp-ui-util lsp-mode lsp-protocol spinner network-stream nsm
markdown-mode inline ewoc origami origami-parsers helm-mode helm-config
helm-swoop helm-rg pcase helm-projectile helm-files helm-tags
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-locate helm-types projectile grep ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs helm-flycheck flycheck-inline csproj-mode
org-cliplink org-cliplink-transport org-cliplink-string em-glob esh-util
zoom ws-butler volatile-highlights visual-fill-column vlf-setup vlf
vlf-base vlf-tune visible-mark undo-tree smart-yank restart-emacs
desktop frameset rainbow-blocks org-super-agenda ts org-habit org-agenda
org-refile org-noter org-element avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs omnisharp
omnisharp-unit-test-actions omnisharp-code-structure
omnisharp-server-installation gnutls omnisharp-format-actions
omnisharp-solution-actions omnisharp-helm-integration helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib omnisharp-navigation-actions
omnisharp-current-symbol-actions omnisharp-auto-complete-actions
omnisharp-server-actions omnisharp-http-utils omnisharp-utils
omnisharp-server-management omnisharp-settings f s flycheck find-func
etags fileloop generator xref project popup ido csharp-mode
csharp-compilation cc-langs json-mode json-reformat json-snatcher js
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors
multiple-cursors-core advice rect magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm hydra lv hungry-delete
hl-todo god-mode free-keys fireplace dashboard dashboard-widgets time
recentf tree-widget wid-edit cmake-mode rst compile text-property-search
crux tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec thingatpt edmacro kmacro avy ring
sanityinc-tomorrow-night-theme color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow color
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons
async-bytecomp async flyspell ispell req-package view req-package-cycles
req-package-args req-package-hooks ht log4e dash el-get
el-get-autoloading el-get-list-packages el-get-dependencies el-get-build
el-get-status pp el-get-methods el-get-fossil el-get-svn el-get-pacman
el-get-github-zip el-get-github-tar el-get-http-zip el-get-http-tar
el-get-hg el-get-go el-get-git-svn el-get-fink el-get-emacswiki
el-get-http el-get-notify el-get-emacsmirror el-get-github el-get-git
el-get-elpa el-get-darcs el-get-cvs el-get-bzr el-get-brew
el-get-builtin el-get-apt-get el-get-recipes el-get-byte-compile
el-get-custom el-get-core autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt dired
dired-loaddefs use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core cl cemacs-utility finder-inf info package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq
byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1366260 1278287)
 (symbols 48 71661 1845)
 (strings 32 821605 302207)
 (string-bytes 1 15366299)
 (vectors 16 808670)
 (vector-slots 8 8340068 966354)
 (floats 8 3607 3481)
 (intervals 56 38157 23043)
 (buffers 992 69))