Subject: Re: bug#49261: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 21:09:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > And apart of remote file names, what other practical use cases can you
>> > think of where disabling locking selectively based on the file name
>> > would make sense?
>> 
>> All file names which match `mounted-file-systems'.
>
> Shouldn't file locking be disabled there by default, and never
> enabled?

Disabling file locking there (and backup files too, perhaps?) would make
sense, but the user should be able to override it.  (They may have
directories called "/media" that's not a mounted file system.)

As for other use cases -- I have, for instance, some automated processes
on several systems that write to the same file, and file locking of that
file has tripped me up before.  I've now rewritten those processes to
work differently, but if `lock-file-name-transforms' had existed before
(and allowed disabling locking based on regexps) I would have used that
instead.

I'm sure there's as many use cases for disabling auto-save/locking based
on regexps as there are for transforming the file names.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no