Subject: Re: bug#49261: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:38:25 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 19:35:38 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Are we talking about disabling remote locks by default?  If so, how
> > about disabling them via a more user-friendly option?  It strikes me
> > as weird and un-intuitive to _disable_ something via a "transform"
> > function.  And it will definitely be more complex to set up such a
> > "transform" function than just use a boolean flag.
> 
> The thing is: In Emacs 27, we didn't have file locking for Tramp files.
> This has now been introduced, and we're discussing how to disable them
> (and only them) in Emacs 28.
> 
> Doing that as a transform seems natural, since that's very parallel to
> what we're doing in `auto-save-file-name-transforms' (where Tramp file
> names are made local).

I suggested a compromise: disable it by default, but not via the
transform function.  I think it's more natural, but even if you
disagree, would it do as a compromise?