Subject: bug#49261: 28.0.50; File Locking Breaks Presumptuous Toolchains

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 13:01:24 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> Remote files (all files which match tramp-file-name-regexp). For
>> backward compatibility, and possibly due to performance reasons.
>
> You want a capability to exempt different kinds of files from locking?
> Why would that be a good idea?  Performance doesn't cut it, IMO,
> because if one wants to be protected from clobbering, one doesn't care
> about performance.  And if one cares about performance for those
> special kinds of files, it most probably means one doesn't care about
> file locking at all.
>
> So I submit that a binary switch is good enough.

Until now, there are no file locks for remote files at all. I thought disabling
it for remote files would be requested by some users for backward compatibility.

> In any case, now that make-lock-file-name is exposed to Lisp, they can
> override or advise it to do whatever they like, right?

Yes. But they cannot disable it. Advising the function is always
possible, but it is less convenient than a user option setting.

But well, let's see whether people shout ...

Best regards, Michael.