Subject: 28.0.50; read-from-minibuffer returns a window-live-p error when its original window is deleted

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 06:32:27 +0000

Hello, I have a bug report
https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/2424
where it seems a minibuffer not belong anymore to its window when this
one is deleted.
Here is what's happening:
I have a function that change the place of the window where originally
read-from-minibuffer was called, the window goes right, left, up and
down at each call of this function, but once we press RET to exit the
read-from-minibuffer an error is raised:

Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 38>
(See backtrace in the link to helm issue mentionned above)

The error seems to come from read-from-minibuffer.

This always worked since emacs-24 to emacs-27.2.

Here is the function:

https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/blob/master/helm.el#L6596

I wonder if this is a bug or an incompatible change in emacs-28, if so
what are the new directives in such case.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2021-06-27 built on IPadS340
Repository revision: b8f9e58ef72402e69a1f0960816184d52e5d2d29
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Elisp

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(epa-mail face-remap mu4e-thread-folding addressbook-bookmark
mu4e-config org-mu4e mu4e-contrib mu4e-patch mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main
mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader mu4e-view-common mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail mu4e-mark
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif mu4e-lists
mu4e-message shr kinsoku svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils helm-command image-file image-converter cl-print
help-fns smerge-mode view helm-dabbrev tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache zeroconf dbus helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark
bookmark conf-mode ledger-config ledger-mode ledger-check ledger-texi
ledger-test ledger-sort ledger-report ledger-reconcile ledger-occur
ledger-fonts ledger-fontify ledger-state ledger-complete ledger-schedule
ledger-init ledger-xact ledger-post ledger-exec ledger-navigate eshell
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util ledger-context ledger-commodities ledger-regex bug-reference
naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs tv-utils undo-tree
diff undo-tree-autoloads ligature ligature-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads psession frameset wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile
text-property-search wgrep-autoloads log-view pcvs-util pcmpl-git
pcmpl-git-autoloads toc-org-autoloads cl-indent ffap
markdown-toc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads autocrypt ietf-drums
config-w3m w3m-autoloads git-gutter git-gutter-autoloads mule-util appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs gud anaconda-mode xref project pythonic f dash
s anaconda-mode-autoloads pythonic-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
emamux-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads
dash-autoloads pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu iterator
iedit-autoloads ledger-mode-autoloads wdired dired-extension org-config
ob-gnuplot org-crypt net-utils time all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons all-the-icons-autoloads winner w3m-wget
wget wget-sysdep autotest-mode autoconf-mode paren woman man ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util init-helm helm-fd epa derived epg epg-config helm-epa
helm-misc helm-imenu imenu helm-elisp-package package url-handlers
helm-find helm-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-external helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
isearch-light helm-descbinds cus-edit pp wid-edit helm-ls-git vc-git
diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
backtrace find-func helm-info python tramp-sh use-package-bind-key
bind-key popup helm-adaptive diminish helm-mode helm-files filenotify
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date
ls-lisp auth-source password-cache json map helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils
helm-help helm-types use-package-diminish helm-extensions-autoloads
helm-config helm-autoloads helm async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu helm-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
async emms-autoloads finder-inf use-package-core popup-autoloads
diminish-autoloads mb-depth server edmacro kmacro avoid cus-load
use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads straight
comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra info autoload radix-tree seq
easy-mmode cl-seq pcase subr-x byte-opt checkdoc lisp-mnt thingatpt
help-mode cl-macs gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 576183 177686)
 (symbols 48 39767 34)
 (strings 32 151520 65945)
 (string-bytes 1 5536163)
 (vectors 16 80431)
 (vector-slots 8 2008218 250049)
 (floats 8 1375 1061)
 (intervals 56 3800 2423)
 (buffers 992 76))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry