Subject: Re: bug#49245: Enchant dictionaries list not being correctly set, and other minor fixes

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 13:31:01 +0100

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 13:13, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK for the first 2 patches,

Thanks for the review.

> but please don't remove that comment, it
> explains something important, and there's no reason to remove it (or
> many other similar comments we have throughout our code).
>

In that case, please can you explain it, and I can rewrite it so that its
significance is more evident. As I said, it explains why something was
changed in the past (which is useful information in a commit message)
rather than how or why the current code does something that may not be
obvious just from reading the code (which would be suitable for a comment).
Commit f0a1f8bdb5, which introduces it, has the message "Do not ignore
short words". The current code does not have to *do* anything to check
short words; that commit simply removed a check. I do not see anything in
the current code that raises any questions that need answering by a
comment. On the contrary, the comment raises a question: "is there some
setting for minimum word length that I need to be aware of?". So I feel
I've missed something here that a rewording of the comment could fix.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org