Subject: bug#49228: guix import go fails when module does not have a documenation on pkg.go.dev

From: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 18:18:04 -0700

Hello,

Thanks for the report.

Björn Höfling <[email-masked]> writes:

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix import go github.com/caspr-io/yamlpath 
> [...]
> ice-9/eval.scm:619:8: Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" #f)'.
>
> If you look at the page
>
> https://pkg.go.dev/github.com/caspr-io/yamlpath
>
> It has no Description, because the site cannot parse license
> information correctly and thus conservatively does not display any info.

There is currently a patch for this (mine; though I could have named it
better, I suppose):

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49200

> Additionally, it would be nice if the go-module->guix-package would
> print out the module it would fetch next (like I did above). Then the
> broken module would be easier to find in recursive mode.

Error reporting in the importers is currently pretty inconsistent and
could use a lot of improvement. You might be interested in taking a look
at the PATCH v3 in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49196> which somewhat
addresses this. Comments are always welcome! :)

Sarah