Subject: LuaJIT on powerpc64le-linux-gnu (POWER9)?

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:15:01 -0700

Hi LuaJIT community,

Is anyone in the LuaJIT community actively working on adding support for
the powerpc64le architecture?  Specifically, I am wondering about the
powerpc64le-linux-gnu triplet, running on POWER9-based systems like the
Talos II and Blackbird sold by Raptor Computing Systems.

I ask because LuaJIT has been packaged for Guix, but it currently fails
to build on this platform, as explained in the following Guix bug
report:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49220

Based on the error output, it seems that this platform just isn't
supported yet:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
==== Building LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3 ====
make -C src
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/guix-build-luajit-2.1.0-beta3.drv-0/LuaJIT-2.1.0-beta3/src'
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
lj_arch.h:428:2: error: #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
  428 | #error "No support for PowerPC 64 bit mode (yet)"
      |  ^~~~~
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'vm_ppc64.dasc', needed by 'host/buildvm_arch.h'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-luajit-2.1.0-beta3.drv-0/LuaJIT-2.1.0-beta3/src'
make: *** [Makefile:113: default] Error 2
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have CC'd the Guix bug report for this issue.  When replying, if you
could please keep [email-masked] in the CC list so that your
replies will be recorded in the bug report, that would be helpful.  That
will make it easier for Guix contributors to follow the conversation.

Best regards,

-- 
Chris Marusich