Subject: Re: bug#49220: luajit doesn't support powerpc64le

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:52:06 -0800

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:

> I checked their email list and website, but I can't find information
> about whether the LuaJIT project is actively working on support for
> powerpc64le architecture specifically.  I'll ask their email list
> ([email-masked]) in a moment, and we'll see what they say.

It's been about 7 months.  There has been no reply on the luajit email
list, or on the GitHub pull request mentioned earlier.  It seems
unlikely that luajit will support powerpc64le-linux support soon.

For this reason, I have removed powerpc64le-linux from luajit's
supported-systems in commit ecb3f1b96a5895999cd800187b2197a78b56760a on
master.

LuaJIT is a dependency, either direct or indirect, of about 58 packages:

  $ guix refresh -l luajit
  Building the following 39 packages would ensure 58 dependent packages
  are rebuilt: [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
  minetest-mobs-animal@2021-11-14 [email-masked]
  minetest-unified-inventory@2021-12-26 [email-masked]
  minetest-homedecor-modpack@2021-12-26 minetest-coloredwood@2021-04-14-1
  minetest-technic@2021-09-11 [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked]
  [email-masked] [email-masked]

Most of them depend indirectly on luajit via the "efl" and "minetest" packages:

  guix graph --type=reverse-bag luajit | dot -Tpng > /tmp/luajit-reverse-bag.png

Here's the graph:

Given the lack of PowerPC 64 bit support and the lack of interest in
supporting the architecture, people who want to use those packages on
powerpc64le-linux will either need to add and maintain that support or
figure out how to modify the package definitions to avoid the dependency
on luajit entirely.

-- 
Chris

PGP: https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=106836