Subject: RE: bug#4922: <control>

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:05:55 -0800 (PST)

> > emacs -q
> >   C-x 8 RET < TAB RET
> > completes to "<control>" which inserts \237.
> >
> > I didn't expect "<control>" to be a valid completion there.
> 
> I can't reproduce this with current trunk (24.3.50).  "Invalid character"
> is displayed in the echo area.

I too cannot repro it, with this:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-02-21 on ODIEONE
Repository revision: 116523 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'

Sounds like bug #16216.  The bug is still open, IIUC, but Eli
wrote that:

  starting with trunk revision 115693, all control characters
  will have nil as their 'name' property, and "C-x 8 RET < TAB"
  will say "No match".  (Some of the control characters have
  'old-name' property, so they still can be called out by name.)

And AFAICT it does seem to be fixed.  Should it be closed?

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16216