Subject: [bug#49219] Acknowledgement ([PATCH]: Update emacs-telega.)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 15:51:21 +0200

Hello Zhu,

thank you for your work on emacs-telega!

...sorry I'm late in this discussion.

Zhu Zihao <[email-masked]> writes:

> https://github.com/zevlg/telega.el/issues/297
>
> Just ask developer of telega.
>
> Seems that we'd better to let it downgrade :thinking:

for archival purposes, this is the comment [1] by Zajcev Evgeny:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

0.7.0XX is for stable telega from "releases" branch

0.7.XX is for bleading edge telega from "master" branch

We need a way to distinguish them, we use leading 0 right now

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Also, the upstream README.md states:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

This project is developed on two primary branches. The 'releases' branch
is kept in compatibility with TDLib major releases. The 'master' branch
is for developmental purposes, and utilizes unstable features in TDLib.

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

As a general rule (AFAIU) Guix packages usually are based on stable
releases so probably we should always use <major>.<minor>.0<N> from now
on: WDYT?

In this case I'd add a comment before (version ...) to clarify this
numbering scheme, something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

(define-public emacs-telega-server
  (package
    (name "emacs-telega-server")
    ;; 0.7.0XX is for stable telega from "releases" branch
    ;; that is kept in compatibility with TDLib major releases
    (version "0.7.024")

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Also, if you think it's useful in the future we could also add a
"emacs-telega-server-unstable" for testing bleading edge TDLib features.

WDYT?

I'll give your patch series a try if I find some time this week.

Thanks! Gio'

[1] https://github.com/zevlg/telega.el/issues/297#issuecomment-868992025

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures