Subject: bug#49204: 28.0.50; How to create new file in project by project-find-file

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:49:33 +0300

Hi!

On 28.06.2021 05:07, Giáp Trần wrote:
>> That said, if you can describe the desired behavior, I could live with a
>> user option. Bonus points for submitting a patch.
> I have some cases as below:
> 1. I'm working on project A, and I believe I can find a file-b in
> project B/src/test. Then I switch project by project-switch-project
> and using project-find-file to lookup him, but I'm not lucky the
> file-b is not existed in project-B/src/test so I want to create this
> file now without exit project-find-file
> 2. I want to use project-find-file to create a new file because I have
> an overview of all subfolder levels in all folders. With find-file I
> don't have this overview
> These are normal case occur everyday on me.

Thanks for the explanations. You previously wrote about Projectile. Does 
it enable this workflow?

I wonder how we can reconcile this requirement with the "find name at 
point" behavior: we use whatever string at point that looks similar 
enough to a file name (or a part of it). To avoid mistakes, we currently 
even call completing-read again if the first finished input doesn't 
match any files.

If the command allows non-matching input, having a default value that 
doesn't necessarily match any file names exactly will be a problem. 
Moving it from DEFAULT to INITIAL-INPUT shouldn't make a difference either.

Ideas welcome, everybody.