Subject: bug#4920: 23.1; (check-parens) problem with bash script case items unbalanced close paren

From: Jeremy Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:14:40 +0000

Running (check-parens) fails on a bash script with case statements in
because of the unmatched close ")".  Would it be possible to fix this,
or tell me how to work around it?

For example:- 
    case "$SYSNAME" in
	  Darwin)
            # ssss
	    ;;
          Linux)

Many thanks,
Jeremy
[email-masked]

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2009-09-08 on jeremy
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.10503000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-march=native -O3 -s -ffast-math
-fomit-frame-pointer -minline-all-stringops -pipe -fno-ident''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=imsettings
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  cua-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
o c <backspace> SPC " <backspace> J A H <backspace> 
<backspace> " <backspace> <backspace> " J A H SPC c 
a l l SPC r e c u r s SPC u i n <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> e SPC i n s t a l l SPC l i 
b c a n <backspace> b i n e t " C-j <down> <down> C-u 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> d e 
d u p e <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <save-buffer> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> 
<open-file> <help-echo> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> 
<kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> C-z 
C-z C-z <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-@ <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <file> <Open Recent> 
</home/jah/.emacs> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> <open-file> 
<help-echo> <up> <up> <up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> 
<open-file> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Note: file is write protected
Setting up indent for shell type bash
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
newline: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer test.sh>
Setting up indent for shell type bash
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash