Subject: messages upon kill-emacs gone before you know it

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:48:23 +0800

Gentlemen, today upon exiting emacs I saw there in the minibuffer:
    "error when ..." or something.
But poof, it was gone, as of course emacs then exited, without even
enough time to read the rest of the message.

Normally one would leisurely view-echo-area-messages, but no, too late
for that, emacs was exiting and no trace is left of anything, even if
one uses emacs -nw.

Got an idea: why not spew any final exit messages straight to the
terminal, so they stay on the screen after emacs disappears.

For now I'll use

;;else how are we to see final error messages?
(add-hook
 'kill-emacs-hook
 '(lambda ()
    (sleep-for 5) ;or (sit-for 5)
    ))

And what if there's two or more messages?

Anyway, no I don't enjoy delaying my supposedly busy day for five
whole seconds on the slight chance that something inside emacs might
have some last words.

(Hmmm,
kill-emacs-hook is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
(w3m-arrived-shutdown
 (lambda nil
   (sleep-for 5))
 #[nil "\300\301!\207"
       [server-mode -1]
       2])

So it was probably some w3m-arrived-shutdown error messages that went
by so fast that they were gone before one could read them. But still,
not being able to read any final error messages is a general problem.
And one cannot expect every possible message in emacs to come with a
sit-for...)