Subject: Re: bug#49194: kill-whole-line 'plus-newline-even-if-none-in-reality

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 16:02:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If this is about your personal needs, why not make a keyboard macro to
> achieve what you want, and use it thereafter?  IMO, we shouldn't add
> to Emacs stuff that is needed by a single user (or a small number of
> users) because of their peculiar workflows, and which makes little
> sense with other workflows.  Inventing characters at kill time sounds
> very strange an unintuitive behavior, so adding it to Emacs, even as
> an option, would be a mistake, IMO.

It's not something I'd use myself, but it makes some kind of vague sense
that I could see being generally useful.  That is -- "it'd be nice if
`C-k' always put an entire, full line into the kill ring".

But I agree that it's somewhat obscure functionality, so unless there's
a greater clamouring for this, we probably shouldn't add it, and I'm
closing this bug report.

(If several other people pipe up saying "that's what I've wanted all my
life!" then we could reconsider.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no