Subject: Re: bug#49194: kill-whole-line 'plus-newline-even-if-none-in-reality

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 04:20:50 +0800

>>>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

EZ> That makes no sense to me: the command kills a line of buffer text, it
EZ> doesn't (and shouldn't) invent characters out of thin air.  When there
EZ> _is_ a newline at EOL, setting kill-whole-line will cause C-k to kill
EZ> that newline as well; but if there's no newline there, why should this
EZ> particular command with that option invent such a newline and save it
EZ> in kill-ring?

1. There may not be a newline yet, but there will be upon sending the
message, or saving the file, depending on other settings.

2. That allows consistent yanking later. C-k ... C-y now will always
have a newline. Else even though C-k appears to behave the same at the
end of file, C-y depends different later.

Anyway, just try making a bunch of lines like this:
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
at the end of your reply, without extra fuss when copying the first!