Subject: bug#49178: 28.0.50; make-auto-save-file-name connects to remote

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:41:30 +0200

Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Sam,

> When I edit a remote file using tramp (scp method), I notice a
> significant slow-down on auto-save (not every time!), and a brief
> investigation seems to indicate that make-auto-save-file-name MAY
> re-establish the connection to the remote server when it is dead (or
> something?)

Well, this is the consequence of the fix for bug#45245. In etc/NEWS,
this is mentioned as

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
*** Writing sensitive auto-save or backup files to the local temporary
directory must be confirmed.  In order to suppress this confirmation,
set user option 'tramp-allow-unsafe-temporary-files' to t.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Of course you could set tramp-allow-unsafe-temporary-files to t, but
that's not the idea for a general solution. Tramp uses already some
caches in order to minimize the needed checks, but perhaps it could do
better. I'll check.

Best regards, Michael.