Subject: bug#49178: closed (Re: bug#49178: 28.0.50; make-auto-save-file-name connects to remote)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 18:41:01 +0000

Your bug report

#49178: 28.0.50; make-auto-save-file-name connects to remote

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49178: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49178
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49178: 28.0.50; make-auto-save-file-name connects to remote
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 20:39:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 28.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Sam,

> I've implemented this, pushed to master. Could you, pls, check whether
> this improves the situation for you?

No further comment, so I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 28.0.50; make-auto-save-file-name connects to remote
From: Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:53:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I edit a remote file using tramp (scp method), I notice a
significant slow-down on auto-save (not every time!), and a brief
investigation seems to indicate that make-auto-save-file-name MAY
re-establish the connection to the remote server when it is dead (or
something?)

My `auto-save-list-file-prefix' and `tramp-auto-save-directory' are a
local directory.
I did not modify `auto-save-file-name-transforms'.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1217))
 of 2021-06-21 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 09f17ac4752e18bf834d2f20ceef561cc516d917
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE
NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 emacsbug sendmail gnus-fun
flow-fill url-cache sort gnus-cite smiley mm-archive gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-dup qp mail-extr gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam
spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus gnutls
network-stream nntp find-dired vc-annotate edebug apropos package
log-view tex-mode latexenc log-edit pcvs-util smerge-mode diff
tramp-cmds cal-move cl-print debug backtrace face-remap skeleton dabbrev
vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs misearch multi-isearch
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook
ein-python-send ein-traceback ein-shared-output ein-pytools ein-pager
ein-completer ein-notification ein-scratchsheet ein-worksheet poly-ein
display-line-numbers quail polymode poly-lock polymode-base
polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat polymode-methods
polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base color
ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-output-area ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel
ein-ipdb ein-events ein-websocket websocket bindat ein-file ein-node
ein-notebooklist shortdoc ein-contents-api ein-query ein-log ein-classes
ein-core request autorevert filenotify anaphora ein-utils deferred dash
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ein add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache remember arc-mode
archive-mode vc-dir ewoc vc company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flymake-proc flymake company-capf company
pcase help-fns radix-tree elpy edmacro kmacro elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido grep
compile etags fileloop xref project cus-edit pp cus-start python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp flyspell ispell org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-x view
cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso
cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bug-reference vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs midnight warnings gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server
advice server winner ring which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 748580 89494)
 (symbols 48 40414 10)
 (strings 32 262426 16078)
 (string-bytes 1 7373587)
 (vectors 16 111857)
 (vector-slots 8 2123010 161192)
 (floats 8 1165 577)
 (intervals 56 27275 7152)
 (buffers 992 86))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://www.memritv.org https://memri.org https://thereligionofpeace.com
If Microsoft wrote poetry, it would have patented dactyl and anapest.