Subject: bug#49171: closed (Re: [bug#49183] [PATCH] gnu: ocaml-dose3: Fix tests.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#49171: OCaml packages not building (due to updated python-pyyaml)

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49171: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49171
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#49183] [PATCH] gnu: ocaml-dose3: Fix tests.
From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
To: pukkamustard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 14:45:52 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Le Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:09:44 +0000,
pukkamustard <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> Neat. Thanks!
> 
> Fixes the test and looks got to me.
> 
> > No idea why one would use Python to test OCaml code...  
>  
> Yeah, makes one wonder. At least they've updated to Python3 
> (https://gitlab.com/irill/dose3/-/blob/master/CHANGES#L33) 
> recently.
> 
> 
> 

Thanks! Pushed as 91b29aa37394b660117e1d79927621db1344b7fe.

Subject: OCaml packages not building (due to updated python-pyyaml)
From: pukkamustard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:47:07 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

With commit ac02d423d3fcb11048ee2e4a02626fca40cf1419, which 
updated python-pyyaml to 5.4.1 (from 5.3.1) lot of OCaml packages 
fail to build.

This seems to be due to ocaml-dose3 that has python2-pyyaml as 
dependency for tests. ocaml-dose3 is a dependency of opam - a 
dependency of many OCaml packages.

The output when trying to build ocaml-dose3:

----------------------------------------------------------
phase `build' succeeded after 14.5 seconds
starting phase `check'
/tmp/guix-build-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv-0/dose3-5.0.1
ocamlbuild  -j 10 applications/apps.otarget
# No parallelism done
make testlib
make[1]: Entering directory 
'/tmp/guix-build-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv-0/dose3-5.0.1'
echo

make[1]: Leaving directory 
'/tmp/guix-build-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv-0/dose3-5.0.1'
applications/dose-tests.py applications/dose-tests.list
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "applications/dose-tests.py", line 17, in <module>
    warning('YAML C-library not available, falling back to 
    python')
NameError: name 'warning' is not defined
make: *** [Makefile:206: test] Error 1
command "make" "test" 
"LIBDIR=/gnu/store/v939nvdn67cdgb7rjkyvplfw1qr2hkjl-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1/lib/ocaml/site-lib" 
failed with status 2
note: keeping build directory 
`/tmp/guix-build-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv-3'
builder for 
`/gnu/store/lybbyb38k0009jrbviymq88vi6xak5ii-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of 
/gnu/store/lybbyb38k0009jrbviymq88vi6xak5ii-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv 
failed
View build log at 
'/var/log/guix/drvs/ly/bbyb38k0009jrbviymq88vi6xak5ii-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv.bz2'.
guix build: error: build of 
`/gnu/store/lybbyb38k0009jrbviymq88vi6xak5ii-ocaml-dose3-5.0.1.drv' 
failed
----------------------------------------------------------

This seems to also be what CI is encoutering: 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/623375/details

Any ideas? Any other packages failing for the same reason?

Would disabling tests for ocaml-dose3 be an acceptable quick hack?

Cheers,
pukkamustard