Subject: Re: bug#49168: ‘guix import pypi’ misses package dependencies

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:39:20 +0200

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Hmm, sorry, I had lost track of what the original missing dependencies
> were.  In this case (setuptools-scm), it is special in that it extends
> the setuptools build system; it must be loaded early by setuptools, so
> perhaps that explains why the dependency doesn't show as required in
> METADATA.  I think going forward with the revised PEP 517 build system [0]
> will alleviate such issues, by allowing to declare the build system and
> its dependencies in a TOML file.
>
> In the mean time, the statu quo seems the best option to me (manually
> specify the setuptools extensions as native-inputs for the python
> packages that need it).  We should look forward adjusting our importer
> to the latest PEP 517 trends (along the PEP 517 build system patches
> awaiting review for core-updates!), which are quickly becoming
> ubiquitous in the Python world.
>
> [0]  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517/

Alright, makes sense to me!

I’m not sure I have much to contribute to the review of the PEP 517
patches, being ignorant about these things, but I fully support the
effort.  :-)

In the meantime I guess we can close this bug?

Thanks,
Ludo’.